17 Aug Hot, Beautiful Raw Cacao
This is my favorite breakfast drink. It is grounding and earthy, like coffee, without the sharpness or stimulation. Raw cacao is not roasted, so not as sharp or quite as warming as roasted cacao. It feels nourishing and is delicious. I think it nourishes blood and pacifies vāta, without aggravating kapha (if you add a pinch of saffron, cinnamon or a touch of cayenne pepper and omit the salt) or pitta (especially if you add vanilla or a pinch of cardamom and omit the salt)
- 12 oz. boiling water
- 1 heaping teaspoon (tsp) organic, raw cacao powder (I like Navitas brand)
- 1⁄8 tsp. organic maca (I like Navitas brand here too)
- 1⁄4 tsp. organic lucuma powder (again, Navitas brand)
- 1-2 Tablespoon (TB) pure maple syrup
- 1⁄8 tsp. salt (optional. Omit for pitta or kapha prakṛti or vikṛti
- Milk, cream or milk alternative, to taste.
- Optional: An 1⁄8th of a tsp. of vanilla or a pinch of saffron, cinnamon, cardamom or a touch of cayenne pepper or — thank you, Anya El Wattar–, a thin peel of orange rind. (To get that thin peel, just take a peeler and take a thin ribbon of peel—just about 1-2 inches long and ½ inch wide)
Mix the cacao, maca, lucuma, salt, cream and maple syrup well in the bottom of a mug. Add the boiling water and vanilla or spices if you want those. Mix well.