Dr. Welch and her long-time friend and colleague, Dr. Ramkumar are two of the founders of Satsangam LLC, an online –and sometimes in-person platform that orients students of Vedic knowledge systems to the context in which their subject exists, and facilitates learning a little about them from the perspective of related subjects.
Drs. Claudia and Ramkumar co-facilitate this twice-monthly membership-based course, hosted by Satsangam LLC, with guest instructors and you. Together, everyone explores concepts that weave through Indian knowledge systems–and life in general.
There are hundreds–probably thousands of such shared concepts. Here’s a sampling of past sessions and possible future topics:
- prāṇa and śakti within the context of Ayurveda vs. traditional dance or martial arts, with an Ayurveda doctor and a dancer proficient in Oddissi and chhau dance and kalāripayattu (a martial art)
- mantra in Vedic recitation vs. kirtan
- rāga (desire, attachment) as both cause and cure disease, with a vaidya that sings to and with his patients to bring about a cure
- an introduction to the kalās (arts) and the lovers of arts in India
- the five sacrifices we should attend to daily
- the four stages of life (āśramas) we each have the potential to experience
- the four aims of life (puruṣārtha) we each have the right to pursue
- the four stages of learning every student should undertake in order to honor and mature their knowledge: 1. study (adhīti) 2. internalize (bodha), 3. practice (ācaraṇa); 4. teach (pracaraṇa)
- teacher (guru)
- karma, and how this concept addresses fate vs. free will
This kind of exploration can help deepen our understanding of our chosen subject, connect us to related subjects and –on a good day– provide a glimpse into the Oneness behind the variety. For an introduction into the interconnectedness of Vedic knowledge systems, and why this is important see the Life Map page to see a video session with Drs. Ramkumar and Welch.
This course meets twice a month for roughly 1.5 hours —usually on the 1st and 3rd Thursday of the month for about 90 minutes starting at 10:00am ET (New York time). Schedule details are available upon registration, on your main classroom page. Drs. Ramkumar and Claudia both intend to be present at all sessions and in many sessions we will also enjoy the company of distinguished guest instructors.